THE WORLD SERVERS AND THE MAY FULL MOON
The Month of May is one of deepest significance to all who are affiliated with the Great White Lodge (as are all true esotericists) in that the Wesak Festival takes place and is of moment and deep import. The period is always one of prime interest and rare opportunity, but the Wesak Festival of 1936 was unique and the Lodge of Masters prepared for it for six months. May I add also that the Buddha Himself in His high place and the blessed Lord Maitreya (known to Christian disciples as The Christ) have since then been in close communication with each other and cooperating in order to bring about a receptivity on the part of the human family to a possible outflow of spiritual force which may serve to turn the tide of the present distress, depression and uncertainty and thus inaugurate an era of peace and of soul-culture. This item of information is of interest, is it not?
In connection with these Festivals every May, I am presenting you an opportunity to serve and to bring about the desired objective of peace. It is possible for us, each of us,—in our small measure to cooperate in the intended Plan, and therefore what I have to say takes on another aspect and lays the responsibility of materialising that Plan upon the earth upon the shoulders of each and all of us. The work has been brought about through an intensive effort in two directions,—one the effort of the Hierarchy to impress that Plan upon the minds of men and to convey the needed power and understanding to effect the intended work, and secondly the effort of all disciples and aspirants to respond and bring through into manifestation that which is waiting on the subjective side of life. How, therefore, is that work at this time going forward?
This planet of ours, the Earth, is at this time the focal point of much attention on the part of the Administrators of the Plan Who today are working in conjunction with certain types of force and with certain Spiritual Entities other than those to be found at this time Within the ring-pass-not of our planetary life. May I give here one hint without proceeding to elaboration? This hint can be accepted or rejected according to the intuition of the individual student.
The Buddha has a special function at this time as an interplanetary mediator, and in this capacity (at the coming May Festivals) He will attempt to bring certain Spiritual Beings into touch with our earth Hierarchy. They have expressed Themselves as willing to aid in the present crisis. That aid, if the effort prove successful, will come in the form of a much increased spiritual inflow of energy of a kind more potent and of a quality somewhat different to any at this time pouring into and through our planetary life. Those aspirants and disciples who can train themselves to the realisation of an increased spiritual responsibility and can preserve an inner quietness and a focussed esoteric attentiveness can be swept into this tide of spiritual force and can then and thus serve humanity’s need. As transmitters they meet that need; as interpreters they increase the capacity of the human being to respond and to understand.
In order to effect this transmission of force, a peculiar interchange of ideas and of cooperation is going on between the Lord Buddha and the Lord Maitreya, and They are subjecting Themselves to a most definite form of training in order to present to these interested Spiritual Beings Who are seeking to help the planet, more adequate channels of service. Three Masters from each of the seven ray groups of Masters are in Their turn attempting a closer cooperation with the Great Lords in preparation for the opportunity to be presented. These twenty-three spiritual forces are banded together to act as a group channel of service on the day of the Wesak Festival and particularly at the hour of the full moon.
A call has been sent out to the entire Hierarchy of Masters to prepare Themselves for an intensive “Holy Month” of accelerated service, and all of the Masters on the Seven Rays—no matter what Their departmental work may at this time be—are getting into immediate cooperation and close contact with the three Masters on Their particular Ray who are acting as the ray intermediaries. The service is new and peculiar and as to its particular nature there is no need for me to explain as I should not be understood.
In Their turn, the Hierarchy of Masters is calling to all working initiates and disciples and to all aspirants of mental focus to cooperate as fully as they can in an intensive effort to increase the receptivity of humanity to the new forces which can be released to perform their benevolent synthesising work during the month of May.
To this intensive cooperation we are called. Should the two Great Lords and the focussed and attentive Hierarchy succeed in producing What might be regarded as a form of planetary alignment and the needed open channel through which these extra-planetary energies can pour, it still remains for the disciples of the world and for the New Group of World Servers to act as the medium of transmission and communication between the world thinkers and this inner spiritual group of Workers. We have, therefore, the focussed Hierarchy in deep attentiveness under the group composed of the two Lords, the twenty-one chohans and the Masters of the seven rays. We have the disciples of the world and the New Group of World Servers given the opportunity to focus in their turn and act as a channel of transmission. We have also the unhappy and bewildered world of men, waiting in eager expectancy for an event which can take place if the aspirants of the world measure up to the opportunity.
One item of esoteric information is of interest here. The period of the Wesak Festival on the inner planes in 1936 and 1937 was extended to cover five days,—two preceding the Festival itself, and two succeeding the Festival. The Wesak hour is of momentous import. The two days of preparation are to be known as “days of renunciation and detachment”. The day of the Festival is to be known as the “day of safe guarding” whilst the two succeeding days are called the “days of distribution”. These words mean something different to the Hierarchy of Masters than they do to us and it is fruitless (as well as forbidden) to elucidate them in their deepest meaning. They mean, however, five days of a most intensive effort in service, leading to the renunciation of all which could hinder our usefulness as channels of spiritual force. It means that after due preparation, dedication and upward striving for the first two days, on the day of the Festival itself we simply regard ourselves as the recipients of, or the custodians of, as much of that inflowing spiritual force as we can possibly hold. As channels, we must be prepared to forget ourselves in the service of touching, containing and holding force for the rest of humanity. We must regard the Festival itself as a day of silence (I refer to an inner peace and silent solemnity that can be preserved unbroken though the outer man may be serving with his speech and spoken interest), a day of service carried forward entirely on esoteric levels, and of complete self-forgetfulness in the remembrance of humanity and its need. During that period, two thoughts only will hold our constant attention,—the need of our fellow men and the necessity of providing a group channel whereby the spiritual forces can be poured through the body of humanity under the expert guidance of the chosen members of the Hierarchy.
Remember, no matter who we are or where we may be placed or what is the nature of our environment, no matter how isolated we may feel or apart from those who may share our spiritual vision, each of us can that day and for the period immediately following and preceding it, work and think and act in group formation, and function as a silent distributor of force.
For two days prior to the full moon, we will hold the attitude of dedication and service and seek to assume that attitude of receptivity to that which our soul will impart which will make us of use to the Hierarchy. The Hierarchy works through groups of souls, and the potency of this group work is to be tested out. These groups in their turn contact and feed the waiting dedicated attentive personalities. On the day of the full moon, we attempt to hold ourselves steadily in the light. We will not formulate to ourselves what will happen nor will we look for results or for tangible effects.
On the two succeeding days, the focus of our attention will be steadily turned away from ourselves but also from the inner subjective planes to the outer world, and our efforts will be to pass on, or to pass through, that measure of spiritual energy that may have been contacted. Our work then in this particular and peculiar field of cooperation will then be ended.
This effort of the Hierarchy is a five days effort, preceded by a most intensive period of preparation. The Work of getting ready for the opportunity starts for the Hierarchy exactly at the hour when “the sun began to move northward.” But They tire not as do human beings and it is not possible for the human aspirant to keep up so long a period of preparation, no matter how deep his devotion.
When the Great Lord was on Earth, He told His disciples that successful spiritual effort of a healing nature went not forth except by prayer and fasting. Will you ponder on these words? This is a group effort towards a vast group healing and by prayer (sanctified desire, illumined thought and intense aspirational longing) and by the discipline of the physical body for a short period and for a definite objective, the work can be done.
What is it that should be accomplished at each momentous full moon in May? I shall state the objectives sequentially and in the order of their importance, and with as much clarity and brevity as this abstruse subject permits.
1. The releasing of certain energies which can potently affect humanity, and which will, if released, stimulate the spirit of love, of brotherhood and of good will on the earth. These energies are as definite and as real as those energies with which science occupies itself and calls the “cosmic rays”. I am speaking of real energies and not of emotionally desired abstractions.
2. The fusion of all the men of good will in the world into an integrated responsive whole.
3. The invocation and the response of certain great Beings, Whose work can and will be possible if the first of the objectives is achieved through the accomplishment of the second objective. Ponder on this synthesis of the three objectives. By what name these Living Forces are called is entirely immaterial. They can be regarded as the vice-regents of God, Who can and will cooperate with the Spirit of Life and of Love upon our planet, the One in Whom we live and move and have our being. They may be regarded by certain thinkers as the Archangels of the Most High, Whose work has been made possible through the activity of Christ and His body of disciples, the true and living Church. They may be regarded by others as the guiding heads of the planetary Hierarchy, Who stand behind our planetary evolution, and Who seldom take an active outer part in the world activity, leaving it to the Masters of the Wisdom except in the time of an emergency such as this. By whatever name we call Them, They stand ready to aid, if the call comes forth with sufficient strength and power from the aspirants and disciples at the time of the May full moon and the June full moon.
4. The evocation from the inner side of a strenuous and one-pointed activity on the part of the Hierarchy of Masters, those illumined Minds to Whom has been confided the work of world direction. A responsiveness is desired and can be effective between the following three groups:
a. The waiting and (at this time) anxious Hierarchy—anxious because even They cannot tell how humanity will react and whether men will be wise enough to avail themselves of the proffered opportunity. They stand, organised under the direction of the Christ, the Master of all the Masters, and the Teacher alike of angels and of men. He has been constituted the direct intermediary between the earth and the Buddha, Who is, in His turn, the consecrated intermediary between the entire waiting Hierarchy and the attentive Forces.
b. The New Group of World Servers, composed at this time of all those sensitive and consecrated servers of the race whose objective is world peace, who aim at the establishing of good will on earth as the basis for future living and world expansion. Originally, this group was composed of a handful of accepted disciples and consecrated aspirants. Its ranks have been opened during the past ten months to all those men of good will who are working actively for real understanding, who are willing to sacrifice themselves for the helping of humanity, and who see no separating bar of any kind, but feel alike to the men of all races, nationalities and religions.
c. The masses of men and women who have responded to the ideas which have been set forth, and who react favourably to the objectives of international understanding, economic interdependence and religious unity.
When these three groups of thinkers and servers are brought en rapport with each other, and when the three groups can be aligned, even momentarily, much can be accomplished; the gates of the new life can be opened, and the inflow of the new spiritual forces can take place. Such is the Group objective and idea.
May I now make an inquiry? Of what importance is this full moon of May to you personally? Does it seem to you of sufficient importance to warrant your utmost effort? Do you really believe that on that day there can truly come a release of spiritual energy of sufficient potency to change world affairs, provided the sons of men play their part? Do you really believe, and can you stand practically by that belief, that the Buddha on that day, in cooperation with the Christ, and with the Hierarchy of Illumined Minds, plus the proffered aid of some of the Thrones, Principalities and Powers of Light, Who are the higher correspondence of the powers of darkness, stand waiting to carry out God’s plans, when given the right and the permission of men? Your major job at this time is not to wrestle with the powers of evil and the forces of darkness, but to awaken an interest in and mobilise the forces of light and the resources of men of good will, and of right inclination in the world today. Resist not evil, but so organise and mobilise the good, and so strengthen the hands of the workers on the side of righteousness and love, that evil will find less opportunity.
If you have faith as a grain of mustard seed in what I have told you, if you have staunch belief in the work of the spirit of God and in the divinity of man, then forget yourselves and consecrate your every effort, from the time you receive this communication, to the task of cooperating in the organised effort to change the current of world affairs by an increase in the spirit of love and good will in the world during the month of May.
In your effort to help the world at this time there are three things of a practical nature that can be done. I touch not upon the task of preparation which each one of you, as an individual, will carry on within yourselves. Purification, sacrifice, clear thinking, and an increased sensitivity must be actively desired and worked for by each of you, alone in the secret place of your own heart. The arranging of your affairs so that the week of the full moon can yield to you the fullest opportunity to cooperate must be your effort, and the use of a sane judgment and the expression of a real skill in action must be your attempted demonstration, as you seek to awaken your immediate circle to the importance of the moment. This I take for granted. I speak here of the general effort that you can make. This falls into three categories:
1. The active instruction and mobilising of the known aspirants and disciples of the world, no matter in what group they work, so that they may make due preparation, working in their own groups as they see fit.
2. The call to participate of all who can be reached advising them of the day of opportunity, mobilising them for a vast world effort to arouse afresh a spirit of good will, and calling for a united use of the Great Invocation on the day of the Wesak full moon. Every possible effort must be made by the workers in every county to increase the numbers of those who use this Invocation, and to familiarise the public with the ideals for which the New Group of World Servers stands. All whom you can reach in the countries of the world must be instructed and helped to spread the use of the Invocation in their own language, and with the wording that will make it acceptable, and a widespread effort must be made to organise its simultaneous use on the day of the May full moon. Those who use it must be instructed to say the words aloud, thus making a volume of sound of real potency, and they must say it with all the power of their wills behind it. It is the invocation of the “will to good” that is the objective of the Forces Who can aid at this time. This realisation is of paramount importance.
3. The arranging of public meetings on as large a scale as possible, to be held on the day of the full moon of May. I mean by this that meetings should be held for the public at some time during the eighteen hours which precede and include the time of the full moon. The exact hour is immaterial, provided as many people as possible participate at some time during the preceding eighteen hours, thus laying the foundation for and aiding in the work which will take place at the time of the full moon. Those aspirants who can arrange to do so must, however, arrange to be in meditation, in group formation if possible, at the exact time, and their work will then be to capitalise on the energy then available, and to take advantage of the vortex of force generated earlier at the public meetings, and so throw the weight of the public demand for peace and light on the side of the effort of the Hierarchy.
The way in which these three objectives must be brought about, and the world be swept into an organised effort for world peace and cooperation, is to be decided upon by the exigencies of the time, the necessities of the occasion, and the varying circumstances of place, country and environing conditions.
The representatives of the various Units of Service in the different countries must be called upon to cooperate, and may receive this instruction in the cases where you know them and their interests. It is the general, widespread and intelligent use of the great Invocation which is desired. The general public must be urged, through all possible agencies, to employ it. The radio, the press, must all be utilised, and all men of good will must be contacted, even if unenlightened from the occult angle, and even if they do not realise the guiding presence of the Hierarchy and the opportunity now offered by the united effort of the Buddha and the Christ.
Let all Who seek to help consider with care what they can do and what is the contribution which they can make. Let them weigh up, after due thought, what they can sacrifice, and in what manner they can submerge their normally selfish personalities in this great “push” on the part of the Hierarchy, of the New Group of World Servers, and of the men of good will throughout the world. The barriers which separate man from man and nation from nation can go down. The spirit of peace can become so potent that naturally and sweetly the necessary adjustments can be made. The illumination of men’s minds and the renewed organisation of man’s efforts to brotherhood can be stimulated into fresh and increased activity.
Out of this quite possible great effort at integration which can be focussed at the time of the Wesak Festival, and intensified during the twenty four hours preceding the full moon, there can grow the real germ of the new age group, and of the new world and the new ideals. This group will function under no name, and will remain perfectly fluid and a free organisation, directed by no committee, but governed through the means of the intelligent cooperation of a group, representing the New Group of World Servers. These will belong to all nations and religions.
The call for the help of the world disciples and aspirants, who constitute the New Group of World Servers, has gone forth from the side of the Hierarchy and it has been made abundantly clear that no one is too weak or too unimportant to have something to offer; all can do something to bring to an end this present impasse, and thus make it possible for us to inaugurate a new era of peace and of good will. I would like to make clear, however, that it is no millennium for which we are working, and that our prime objective at this time is twofold:
1. To break an ancient rhythm and to establish a new and better one. To do this, Time is a paramount factor. If we can delay the crystallisation of an evil necessity, and so prevent that which might occur of a calamitous nature, it will give time for the processes of transmutation, for the dissipation of that which must precipitate in some form or other, and for the applied activities of the New Group of World Servers, who constitute our instrument in the world today.
2. To fuse and blend the united aspiration of all peoples at each May full moon—so that a channel can be cleared, opened and established between the New Group of World Servers (composed of all true disciples, aspirants, and men of real good will, no matter what their nationality or faith) and the waiting Hierarchy. Once this channel is permanently established and a large enough number of thinking men and women realise its function and possibilities, it will be easier for the Guides of the race to impress the public consciousness, and so sway public opinion. Thus humanity can be more definitely guided, for there will emerge some conscious cooperation. The establishing of such a channel by the world aspirants is possible.
This is a scientific programme of work with which I have presented you. It is more than organised aspirational longing on the part of a large group of people. It is a strenuous mental endeavour, and involves the working with certain laws of the spiritual realm which are only just in process of becoming known.
There is a law called the Law of Magnetic Impulse or Polar Union which plays an active part here. This law governs the relation of the soul of a group to the soul of other groups. It governs the interplay, vital but unrealised yet as a potency, between the soul of the fourth kingdom in nature, the human, and the soul of the three subhuman kingdoms, and likewise of the three superhuman kingdoms. It is, owing to the major part which humanity has to play in the great scheme or Plan of God, the law which will be the determining law of the race. This will not, however, be the case until the majority of human beings understand something of what it means to function as souls. Then, under obedience to this law, humanity will act as a transmitter of light, energy and spiritual potency to the subhuman kingdoms, and will constitute a channel of communication between “that which is above and that which is below”. Such is the high destiny before the race.
It is just here that I can perhaps best illustrate this law and aid our work at the coming Wesak Festivals.
Just as certain human beings have, through meditation, discipline and service, most definitely made a contact with their own souls, and can therefore become channels for soul expression, and mediums for the distribution into the world of soul energy, so these same men and women, in their aggregate, form a group of souls, en rapport with the source of spiritual supply. They have, as a group, and from the angle of the Hierarchy, established a contact and are “in touch” with the world of spiritual realities. Just as the individual disciple stabilises this contact and learns to make a rapid alignment and then, only then, can come into touch with the Master of his group and intelligently respond to the Plan, so does this group of aligned souls come into contact with certain greater Lives and Forces of Light, such as the Christ and the Buddha. The aggregated aspiration, consecration and intelligent devotion of the group carries the individuals of which it is composed to greater heights than would be possible alone. The group stimulation and the united effort sweep the entire group to an intensity of realisation that would otherwise be impossible. Just as the Law of Attraction, working on the physical plane, brought them together as men and women into one group effort, so the Law of Magnetic Impulse can begin to control them when, again as a group and only as a group, they unitedly constitute themselves channels for service in pure self-forgetfulness.
This thought embodies the opportunity immediately before all groups of aspirants and allied men of good will in the world today. If at the time of the May full moon they work together as a group of souls, they can accomplish much. This thought illustrates also the significance of this law whichdoes produce polar union. What is needed to be grasped is that in this work, there is no personal ambition implied (even of a spiritual nature) and no personal union sought. This is not the mystical union of the scriptures or of the mystical tradition. It is not alignment and union with a Master’s group or fusion with one’s inner band of pledged disciples, nor even with one’s own Ray life. All these factors constitute preliminary implications and are of an individual application. Upon this sentence I beg you to ponder. This union is a greater and more vital thing because it is a group union.
Bailey, A. (1942) Esoteric Psychology, Vol. II (pp.685-694). Lucis Trust.